I wanted to send out one more posting for you all, kind of a last minute “Band
Camp Survival List” of sorts. These are reminders about what you need and must
have with you not only on the first day of camp, but always.
1. First and foremost - Water (and plenty of it!). We have been trying in
earnest to secure water jugs for each and every band student and have run into
some difficulty in securing them. We still may get them in time for the first
day of camp, but just in case, please bring water and plenty of it!
2. Sunscreen and plenty of it. We will be outside every morning and if the
weather permits, some afternoons. Please be conscious of the heat and sun, and
3. A cap or hat, even a goofy hat like mine!
4. Light, loose fitting clothes. Even a change of clothes or 2 would be a good
6. A bagged lunch, if the student is not leaving the school premises for lunch
(students must have a completed, valid “Off-Premises Lunch Liability Waiver
Form” on file to leave school premises for lunch).
7. Snacks for energy, not high in salt or fat content, e.g., fruits, vegetables,
energy bars, etc.
8. Any music handed out. We will be handing out new music for everyone that is
complete and hopefully final. This version has all the proper rests put in, all
the subtleties that were missing in what you already have, as well as a few
minor changes for a select few instruments. Continue to work on what you
currently have, but expect a new copy.
9. A binder with sheet protectors for all the music you will be receiving. This
is so very important because you will be getting new music, both warm ups and
show music. You will be getting drill charts. Everything should be stored and
kept neatly in a binder for you to use for rehearsals and sectionals. Please
stop rolling up your music/drill and discarding it (on the band room floor!). We
want to go “greener” than last year, and stop wasting paper/plastic. Our Band
Room must stay clean!
10. A dot book (small memo sized notebook, or 2). EVERYONE will be required to
complete their dot book in the assigned time. If you do not complete your dot
book, your grade will suffer, you may be withheld from rehearsals and/or
competitions and you may be dropped from the group. Everyone will be completing
a dot book.
11. The student’s instrument with appropriate accessories (e.g., mouthpieces,
reeds, cork grease, valve oil, drumsticks, etc.);
12. Please remember all your forms and that your dues payments are up to date. I
remind you, if your dues are not paid up to date (first 2 payments) on the first
day of camp, you will be sent home and will not be permitted to partake in band
13. Please be on time. Remember our motto: To be early is to be on time, if you
are on time, you are late!!! So don’t be late, be 10 minutes early every day.
14. Last, but not least, A MINDSET TO WORK AND TO WORK HARD!
See you Monday,